Chains of Flame
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
|Requires access to : Demon Sands|
|Chains of Flame|
|Takes place in:||The Burning City|
|Bestowed by:||Jaefan Druz|
|NPC contact:||Jaefan Druz|
|Quest acquired in:||Zawabi's Refuge|
|Patron:||The Free Agents|
|Free to Play:||No|
Jaefan Druz told you about the slave-taking habits of the Firebrand gnolls. According to Druz, the Firebrands wield the evil magics of demons and efreet in order to seize victims and work them to death - or eat them alive! Druz wants you to free the slaves of the Burning City, hidden deep in the Menechtarun, and bring back the Orb of the Efreet. This artifact is treasured by the rulers of the Burning City, and it will prove that you have broken the power of the Firebrands.
- Free at least 15 slaves
- Kill General Hruvayah
- Kill Rashad the Vizier
- Search the Efreeti Hoard
- (Optional) Free Gaspar Goldpike: Heroic: +15% Bonus. / Epic: +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Speak to Valgrim Forge-Bound: Heroic: +3% Bonus. / Epic: +3% Bonus.
- (Optional) Kill Valgrim's elemental guards: Heroic: +10% Bonus. / Epic: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Free Valgrim Forge-Bound: Heroic: +4% Bonus. / Epic: +4% Bonus.
- (Optional) Transfer Erath's curse to a willing victim: Heroic: +20% Bonus. / Epic: +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Kill the ogre mages in the library: Heroic: +6% Bonus. / Epic: +6% Bonus.
- (Optional) Speak to Erath the Blinded: Heroic: +3% Bonus. / Epic: +3% Bonus.
- (Optional) Free Erath the Blinded: Heroic: +3% Bonus. / Epic: +3% Bonus.
- (Optional) Free all 30 slaves: Heroic: +24% Bonus. / Epic: +24% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Overlapping floors
Fire, spikes (normal - elite), spinning blades, blowing off air-stream (epic only)
Tips and Misc
- Getting to the quest
- Follow the route on the map (right), following the "path" in the red landscape. When the "road" goes into the water, take a swim (you can see the "submerged road" continue underwater if you dive). As you climb onto land again, look left - there's a skybridge - you'll need to find your way to cross that. To get there, hold to the right-hand wall - you'll drop down, then soon be forced east - as you climb, look left again and you'll see it. Once across that, just follow the narrow cliff trail to the quest entrance.
- Map notes
- Due to the complex quest design (too many overlapping floors in this case) the number of symbols placed on the map is kept to a bare minimum to avoid confusion.
- Buffs: It's a "burning city" - fire resist and cold-based attacks are useful.
- After clearing the first bridge, take a moment to watch around the lava lake at the bottom of the Burning City, under the bridge. There's a Return Portal on a wall, just above the lake's surface. Make a mental note of its position. If you fall into the lava, head for it: if you're quick enough, you can use it to teleport just above the first bridge before you burn to death. The same applies to other bridges as well.
- To save Gaspar Goldpike, you need to have a Bluff of 21 (Normal) or better.
- Orb of the Efreet, key item acquired at the end of this quest instance, cannot be turned in to Zawabi right away. Talk to the quest giver Jaefan Druz and receive Orb of the Djinn first.
- At intersection #1, go west (ignore the locked door leading east).
- At intersection #2, go west (ignore the locked door leading east), over the bridge and down the tunnel to the end. Kill the overseer, get Key #1, free 3 slaves (now "12 left").
- Return to intersection #2, open locked door #1, leading east.
- At intersection #3, head west (ignore the path heading north), kill the ogre mage, get Key #2.
(Optional: Use Bluff on the ogre mage to save the dwarf, then kill the ogre mage, then talk to the dwarf (in the hanging cage) to free him and get the Stolen Treasury Key.)
- Return to intersection #3, head north, cross the bridge (watch out for archers well above/behind you), kill the overseer, get Key #3, loot the chest, free 3 slaves (now "9 left").
- Return to intersection #1, open locked door #2 leading east, watch out for fire traps in the hall just after door (the box is just past the traps), ignore the next lever* (at the top of that hall, past the fire traps), cross a bridge, reach the first shrine behind a levered door to north (left).
* That lever turns the fire traps back on. There is another trap box next to it to turn them off again, permanently this time.
- Continue, fighting across a bridge - this is "intersection #4". Free 3 slaves (now "6 left"), head north (right turn after bridge, ignore the path heading west-left), fight a Fire Elemental and various gnolls (including more archer above you), open the door to the treasure room (on your left/south - use the Stolen Treasury Key or pick the lock (Lock DC) and loot the chest, free 2 slaves at the end of that ledge (now "4 left").
- Return to intersection #4, head west, open locked door #3, watch out for spinning blade traps just beyond (box is on the far wall, past the traps - no one said this would be easy).
- At intersection #5 (on the next ledge), head north (through the wooden door on your right; ignore the stone door leading west), watch out for blade traps (past the first stairs - the trap box is well beyond, past the second set of stairs), kill the overseer, get Key #4, free 1 slave (now "3 left"), pull the lever.
- Return to intersection #5, head west.
- At intersection #6, free 2 slaves (now "2 left"), head east (ignore the bridge heading west), talk to and rescue the minotaur (fighting fire and air elementals), loot the chest (after rescuing these 2 slaves (now "???, you're supposed to have 16 still waiting for rescue).
- Return to intersection #6, head west across the bridge, up some ladders and across another bridge, open locked door #4.
- Cross a short bridge to intersection #7, head north (ignore the path heading east), cross 2 more bridges (with archers above), free 1 slave (far ledge of 2nd bridge), watch out for spike and fire traps (same room) (control box in SE corner).
- At intersection #8, free 1 slave, head south (ignore the path heading east).
- At intersection #9, free 1 slave, head south across the bridge (more archers - ignore the path heading north), kill the overseer, get Key #5, free 3 slaves, loot the locked chest (DC 50 on normal).
- Return to intersection #9, head north, free 1 slave, pull the lever.
- Drop down to the bridge below, free 2 slaves, head east (ignore the path heading west), reach the second shrine.
- Return to the bridge, head west.
- At intersection #10, head north (ignore the path heading west - this backtracks many rooms, watch out for spike/fire trapped room).
- At intersection #11, just past the spike/fire traps, head east (ignore the path heading south), open locked door #5, free 1 slave, talk to the blinded prisoner, take his curse, use Remove Curse potion or spell (the blindness will not renew after the remove curse is used), kill the ogre mages, free the blinded prisoner.
- Climb the ladder to the upper floor of the library, loot the chest in the alcove, then head north through the other door on the upper floor of the library, watch out for blade traps after the first bridge (just before adventurer's pack), rescue 1 slave, open the last locked door with the Royal Firebrand Key that you received from the 16th freed slave. Kill the 2 bosses, loot the chest and search the Efreeti Hoard for the Orb of the Efreet.
- Breakdown of Slave Locations
- Lowest Level
- 3 - In room with Gnoll Overseer who drops 1st Burning City Key
- Kitchen Level
- 3 - In room with Gnoll Overseer who drops 2nd Burning City Key
- Level above 1st Shrine
- 1 - On platform through door after 1st shrine
- 2 - Across bridge, on East Platform of main block
- 2 - Through door at North/Right end of East platform and along North Platform (past treasure room) to far end
- 1 - Through door at South/Left end of East platform, through door half-way along South Platform and up steps; In room with Gnoll Overseer who drops 3rd Burning City Key
- 1 - Through door at far/West end of South platform and along West Platform (past Bridge and door to Minotaur) to far end
- 1 - Inside shelter immediately before far end of West Platform
- Library Level (2 levels up: Up 1 level, cross bridge to left, take curving passage up another level)
- 1 - On far side of bridge, at East/Left end of North Platform of main block
- 2 - On platform immediately below bridge to North Platform (North end of bridge); Requires jump down to platform, jump down to lower level, then run back up
- 1 - On platform below and to West of bridge to North Platform (North end of bridge); Requires jump down to platform, jump down to lower level, then run back up
- 1 - In central room, after room with Spike & Fire Traps
- 1 - In shelter at West end of South platform
- 3 - In room with Gnoll Overseer who drops 4th Burning City Key, across bridge to South of South platform
- 1 - Through door at far/East end of South platform; At North/far end of East platform
- 1 - At table in Library
- 2nd Shrine Level (1 level down: Use lever to lower drawbridge, then jump down to drawbridge or run back down one level)
- 2 - On platform next to room with 2nd Shrine; Requires run back up
- Level above Library
- 2 - On platform immediately below Walkway on West side of main block, one at South/near end, one at North/far end; Requires jump down to platform, jump down to lower level, then run back up
- Top level
- 1 - In shelter on platform immediately before room with Final Fight with Rashad/Hruvayah
- Aggression bonus: 152 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 198 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 108 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 141 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 173 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: Total 6 including 2 require Open Lock skill.
- Valgrim (minotaur) chest, Erath's library chest, Vault chest (Lock DC) and End chest may contain named items.
- NPC rewards: Random item
Named Chest Drop
- Cape of the Roc - Cloak: — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), , (End chest)
- Golden Greaves - Boots: , 3/-, (Valgrim chest)
- Hruvayah's Medallion - Necklace: Spell Penetration VI, Taint of evil, , (End chest)
- Ring of Baphomet - Ring: — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), , , , , (Valgrim chest)
- Staff of Inner Sight - +5 Quarterstaff: , , (Erath's library chest)
- Unkor's Cleaver - +5 Battleaxe 1.50[1d10] STR/CON: , (Vault chest)
|General Hruvayah (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Rashad the Vizier (view)||Evil Outsider||Efreet|
|Firebrand Overseer (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Unkor the Gourmet (view)||Giant||Ogre|
|Elder Air Elemental (view)||Elemental||Air Elemental|
|Elder Fire Elemental (view)||Elemental||Fire Elemental|
|Eternal Hunter (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Fire Mephit (view)||OR Summoned by another mephit:||Fire Outsider||Mephit|
|Firebrand Conjurer (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Firebrand Eremite (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Firebrand Gnoll (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Firebrand Lieutenant (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Firebrand Pyromancer (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Firebrand Ritualist (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Firebrand Sergeant (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Greater Dust Mephit (view)||Air Outsider||Mephit|
|Greater Fire Mephit (view)||OR Summoned by another mephit:||Fire Outsider||Mephit|
|Kitchen Assistant (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Menechtarun Hyena (view)||Animal||Hyena|
|Menechtarun Packmaster (view)||Animal||Hyena|
|Ogre Warlock (view)||Giant||Ogre|