Storm the Beaches
From DDO wiki
House Deneith needs your help planning the attack on the Blood Tide's island fortress.
|Requires access to : Sentinels of Stormreach|
|Storm the Beaches|
|Takes place in:||Mistral Island|
|Bestowed by:||Galton d'Deneith|
|NPC contact:||Galton d'Deneith|
|Quest acquired in:||House Deneith|
|Free to Play:||No|
The Blood Tide pirates have occupied Mistral Island in the Straits of Shargon and are fortifying their base there.House Deneith plans to strike at this island fortress and Galton d'Deneith has recruited you to lead the island strike force.
- This is the third quest in the Sentinels of Stormreach story arc.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Speak with captain Lucan d'Deneith
- Choose your deployment zone
- Demolish every ballista - 8 total
- Find and destroy the dimensional anchor
- Slay Captain Grim
- (Optional) Kill some pirates - 20 total — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Kill more pirates - 25 total — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Kill even more pirates - 35 total — Bonus (25%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Trap (fixed)
- Multiple quest entrances (5)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Enemy barrage from ballistae (Epic difficulty)
- Blade trap near the gate on the upper fortress; control box is on the ramp
- One-shot spike trap on the Captain's chest; control box is on the east wall
Tips and Misc
- Be warned: The Epic version of this quest differs from its original Heroic version in that the ballistae now fire on you with massive area-of-effect damage that may kill you with one shot, even on Epic Normal.
- Epic ballistae will continue firing until destroyed; killing any pirates manning the weapons will not stop the attacks. (Note: At least on Epic Normal, killing or incapacitating the pirate manning a ballista *will* cause it to stop firing. The ballista will aim down toward the ground and stop following its target when this happens. If another pirate mans the ballista, it will start tracking again).
- Ballistae have See Invisibility.
- Even with a high Sneak, once an epic ballista spots you (even if you enter into the fort) it will target and fire at you. Their range extends close to the map's edges to the west.
- The Ballistae will remain focused on the first target to approach it, have one player approach the ballista from a safe angle, then when it locks on to him, the other players can safely attack it up close while the "target" hides behind a wall so the ballista will not shoot.
- A safe strategy is to get aggro from afar and then stay close to the wall the ballista is positioned on. The ballista will aim down and fire against the wall and damage itself.
- Be warned: Do not charm the guys operating the ballistae. We ended up with friendly ballistae which rendered the quest uncompleteable.
- You have 3 deployment choices: Spymaster, Archmage, and Captain.
- The Captain's warship will bring you aboard the ship to the southwest; from there, you can either take the Spymaster's hidden pass, climb up the ladder to the docked pirate ship, or swim all the way around to the northern door.
- The Spymaster's passage will bring you to the beach south of the fortress; from there, you take a hidden path, guarded by Wildmen and wolves, through a waterfall and the forest. This path is excellent for those with ranged abilities, as you might be able to eliminate almost all ballistae and many enemies as you infiltrate from the top of the fortress.
- The Archmage's teleport deployment will scatter the party between several points, possibly resulting in death for anyone who can't survive solo. One of the points is underwater, by the northern door; one is on the pirate ship; and one is on top of the fortress, near the northeast ballista.
- Note that once the Dimensional Anchor is destroyed, the Archmage will no longer teleport you. Similarly, once Captain Grim is killed, the Spymaster will no longer transport you. This leaves the captain's warship as the only destination for latecomers or people who take a DD.
- You can talk to the Archmage on the ship to be teleported to one of his destinations.
- If you take the Spymaster's route, there is a lever you can shoot once you reach the fortress that will release an earth elemental against the pirates. Note that it will attack you as well, if it sees you.
- The Wildmen and wolves on the island respawn.
- The Ballistae count towards your kills bonus.
- The lever to open the outer gate between the ship and the front gate can be triggered from the bow of the ship.
- Lieutenant Kapsht can be found on top of the fortress.
- The First Mate can be found near the helm on the Blood Tide ship.
- Aggression bonus: 62 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 80 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 103 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 1 or more trap disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 37 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 49 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 60 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: Four minimum
- One on top of the fortress, guarded by Lieutenant Kapsht
- One near the shrines on the mid-level of the outer fortress
- One on the Blood Tide ship
- One after killing the dimensional anchor. Chest room is only accessible after killing Captain Grim and destroying all ballistae. If, after quest completion the gate to the final chest is locked, go down the hallway opposite the gate to the corner, and come back into the room - the gate should open.
- Collectables: Eight
- Rubble just past the waterfall, in the southeast
- Mushroom further along the path, just before you reach the fortress
- Adventurer's Pack in the northwest corner of the middle level of the outer fortress
- Adventurer's Pack in the southeast corner of the outer fortress
- Rubble in the water just north of the fortress (near one of the teleport spots)
- Rubble near the front entrance to the fortress
- Cabinet just inside the front entrance
- Moss in the corridor from the west (water) entrance
- NPC rewards: Selection of 4 random items (ML1-4)