Talk:Character builds section
What do You guys think about adding to wiki page, that contain information about most popular builds. Something like most common s&b, vanguard, wolf, shiradi, monkcher, shuricannon, xbow user etc. Some of this build are available at forum but it's hard to find them if you don't know what to look for. Seljuck (Contribs • Message • Email) 04:59, January 26, 2016 (EST)
- I see a few problems:
- Builds are often subjective, wiki should be impartial. People are likely to feel strongly about their favorite build and might defend it strongly, this could lead to edit wars.
- Keeping the stuff up to date is a PITA.
Even updating pages like Starting a ... (class) is a thankless job. Some like their class played in one way, others in a different way. Some build for end game, some for heroic PL, some for fun/flavor. Then let's say we wanted to keep stuff organized via categories, someone puts other person's build in flavor category, and drama follows.
What I could imagine that belongs on the wiki:
- describing the common build names (monkcher, shuricannon), perhaps indicating some common splits, probably adding a year when the build was popular.
- If someone writes something long about monkcher, it should describe the different options, different splits (over time?), ideally linking multiple forums discussions (impartiality!).
- In many cases, this could be added to the relevant Starting a ... class article.
- I could imagine a build compendium topic, linking various builds on the forums. Similar compendium threads exist on the forums, but wiki seems better suited for an overview because it's easier to edit. Cru121 (Contribs • Message • Email) 06:55, January 26, 2016 (EST)
- We have some pages like that. There is actually a system for them. We have Custom character builds and all the subcategories from there to start. We also have things like How I Build My Toons and Syndeo's Guide to Being a Respected Rogue. I think it's a great idea as long as it is maintained. Those kinds of pages take a lot of work to build as well. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance with it. ShoeMaker (Contribs • Message • Email) 07:49, January 26, 2016 (EST)
- I think that, if we denote this builds, as a "template builds" with notification that they can be more diverse, people will not change them. We can also add category 'most common changes' or something similar where different version of build can be added. Also right now there's not so much changes to enhancements or epic destines so builds should be quite up to date. Seljuck (Contribs • Message • Email) 09:33, January 26, 2016 (EST)