From DDO wiki
This Grotto is damp, dark and forbidding. Strange odors mingle with the cold sea drafts, and whispered chants echo in the distance.
|Takes place in:||The Grotto|
|Bestowed by:||Jeets Shimis|
|NPC contact:||Cellimas Villuhne|
|Quest acquired in:||Shipwreck Shore|
|Base favor:||None (solo only)|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Help the Cleric, Cellimas Villuhne, in the Grotto caves.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Speak with the Cleric, Cellimas
- Follow the Cleric, Cellimas, into the cave
- Climb the ladder
- Drop through the crevice
- Find & eliminate the sahuagin guard
- Use the lever to open the gate
- Follow the adventurers deeper into the cave
- Use the lever to open the door
- Destroy the evil sahuagin
- Explore the chamber for a way out
- Find the key to the chamber exit
- Unlock the chamber exit
- Proceed to the Rest Shrine
- Scout ahead with the Rogue, Jeets
- Speak with the Rogue, Jeets, about the trap
- Bypass the trap
- Open the gate door
- Proceed to the rear cave
- Slay the High Priestess and her guards
- Search the treasure chest
- Look for the exit to Korthos Village
- Find the Secret Door (Use Looking Glass Icon)
- Speak with the Cleric, Cellimas
- Find the exit to Korthos Village
- (Optional) Use the Rest Shrine — Bonus (0%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Trap (fixed)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Skill DCs and pictures of the trap, control box location, and secret door can be found in the above links by hovering over the description text.
- Blade trap on the door immediately after the rest shrine. This trap may look dangerous but it doesn't actually do any damage. If you can't or don't want to disarm it, you can ask the NPC Jeets to disable if for you.
Tips and Misc
- This is a tutorial quest, intended to teach new players some of the very basics of the game. As such, the character (and pet, if any) will be warded by Protection from Death.
- Resting at the rest shrine will not remove Protection from Death because it is immediately refreshed. If you recall before completion, Protection from Death will be reapplied upon reentry.
- This quest also introduces one of the storylines and a few recurring characters.
- The first character on every server has to go through The Grotto. After that, every character is given the option of skipping the Snowy Korthos storyline upon awakening at the beach. This effectively bypasses the Grotto and puts the character at the normal quest exit in sunny-side Korthos Village. You're given 850 XP, all the gear you might have looted from the chest in The Grotto and your choice of quest reward items that would have been offered by Cellimas. This will allow you to immediately group with all other players. Be warned this action cannot be reverted, but has no real consequence on any game play mechanics - you may still complete all the same quests. You simply miss out on a small amount of the storyline.
- Finding the secret door is mandatory but the search DC is low enough that it is impossible to fail, so the mission can be completed even if you haven't leveled that skill.
- If you Recall rather than using the exit, you'll wind up at the entrance to the Grotto. Cellimas will be waiting there to escort you to Korthos Village, Talbron will be in the camp and direct you back up the path to Cellimas, and Jeets will be back on the beach. Although Jeets will still give you the option of skipping the Snowy Korthos storyline, you will not get an additional 850 XP if The Grotto is already complete.
- This quest has three unique entries to your Monster Manual. The Sahuagin Warriors are the only monster type that reappear later in other quests.
- Tamper bonus: 1 or more trap disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Chests: 1
- 1 for killing the Sahuagin High Priestess
- NPC rewards: Cellimas Villuhne offers you a choice of the following weapons at the end of quest, or the choice is offered if you choose to skip The Grotto.
- Weapon Reward List
- Ember Great Axe - Greataxe:
- Ember Heavy Mace - Heavy Mace:
- Ember Longsword - Longsword:
- Ember Rapier - Rapier:
- Ember Repeating Light Crossbow - Repeating Light Crossbow:
- Ember Sickle - Sickle:
- Eternal Wand of Finger of Fire - Wand: — 50 Charges (Recharged/Day:50),
- Eternal Wand of Spark of Light - Wand: — 50 Charges (Recharged/Day:50),
- Soren's Handwraps - Handwraps:
Named Chest Drop
The followingitems are looted from a chest, or given if you choose to skip The Grotto.
- Offered to every character
- Class or Race-dependent options
- Apprentice's Robe - Robe: , (For Non-Warforged Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards)
- Battleworn Chainshirt - Chain shirt (For Non-Warforged Barbarians, Bards, Rangers, and Rogues)
- Battleworn Breastplate - Breastplate (For Non-Warforged Artificers, Clerics, Favored Souls, Fighters, and Paladins)
- Battleworn Shield - Small Steel Shield (For Clerics, Favored Souls, Fighters, and Paladins)
- Disciple's Robe - Robe: , — 1 Charges (Recharged/Day:1) (For Non-Warforged Monks)
- Ember Shortbow (and 100 Arrows) - Shortbow: (For Barbarians, Bards, Fighters, Rangers, and Rogues)
- Initiate's Docent - Docent: (For All Warforged characters)
- Starter Heavy Wooden Shield - Heavy Wooden Shield (For Druids)
- Starter Leather Armor - Leather Armor (For Non-Warforged Druids)
- Lootgen level 1 Docent, Lootgen level 1 Companion Collar, and 300 Bolts (For Artificers)
- Historical (no longer in game):
- Video Walkthrough: