The Mask of Deception
You head north towards the Stonelands. Masked Cult of the Dragon members have been reported in the area.
|The Mask of Deception|
|Takes place in:||Cult Safehouse|
|Bestowed by:||Hamish Graymoor|
|NPC contact:||Hamish Graymoor|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
The Harpers have learned that the White Dragon Mask is being held in a Cult of the Dragon compound to the north.
They've asked you to infiltrate the Cult Safehouse, take the White Dragon Mask, and then escape.
- In the LFM panel and in the Adventure Compendium this quest is called "Mask of Deception", without the leading "The".
- Get the White Dragon Mask and escape into the woods with your party
- Gain access to the cult of the Dragon compound
- Defeat Archwizard Ca'thul
- (Optional) Neutralize the Cultists in the bar — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Disrupt the supplies — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Poison the Feast — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Blade-type traps on the upper level
- Dart/Arrow traps on the lower level.
- The trap control panels for Heroic Elite have a rather high Search value for the level of the quest; Search DC: 52. They are located in the two small supply rooms with breakables (one locked) on the top floor of the main building.
- Traps activate once you grab the mask; however, they can be disabled in advance.
Tips and Misc
- In the forest there are 2 cultists at the bonfire; they drop wearable cultist masks (Dragon Masks) when killed. Party members with masks on can enter the stronghold without a fight. Masks for the rest of the party can be found in the keep (see below).
Note: You must WEAR the mask in your head slot when moving around in order to fool the cultists. However, you can take the mask off and equip your own headgear (possibly to meet the skill checks or cast some buff) while staying still.
- Do not attack anyone but the two first cultists in the woods if you wish to do the Optionals.
- Be sure to turn off auras, keep pets on passive, and don't summon anything (they may attack NPCs)
- For the 'Disrupt the supplies' optional you need to tell the Arms Master (in the central building) that attackers are coming. Then follow the Cult of the Dragon Initiate he dispatches after the dialogue; she'll run across the courtyard and open the door to the Supply room. To complete the optional you need to kill the kneeling cultist and then use the key you get for doing so to lock the open chest beside her. Killing the cultists in this room will NOT alert the rest of the compound.
- This supply room also has a chest with four more masks, which can be looted for other party members to wear.
- The Arms Master you talk to for the 'Disrupt the supplies' optional also has additional optional dialogues (not mandatory) allowing skills checks (Bluff, Diplomacy or Intimidate) to convince him to open the doors of the main building. Heroic Normal Diplomacy: 37 failed. Bluff: 54 Failure; 65 worked on Heroic Hard. Heroic Elite DC is 71 for all skills. On Epic Hard, a roll of 102 Failed the Diplomacy check. However, if you have a skills check failure with the optional dialogue; it results in the alarm being raised and causes all the monsters in the quest to become hostile. Failure text; "With as little cunning as a Kobold, you have given yourself away as an imposter".
- To complete the bar optional just talk to the bartender. You can Haggle to reduce the cost and try the skill check as many times as you wish. On Heroic Normal a roll of 34 failed; 37 succeed. For Heroic Elite the Haggle needed is 44; Haggle of 43 fails, 44 succeeds. On Epic Hard a roll of 74 fails.
- 20,000 pp is needed on Heroic, reduced to 7,000 pp with a successful haggle; 100,000 pp is needed on Epic.
- Note that even after you've neutralized them, attacking one will still start a barfight.
- To complete the Poison the Feast optional just click on the ham.
- The Wilderness Lore feat is required.
- All party members need to enter the basement and gather near the mask in order to progress the quest. However, only one party member needs to stay behind to pick up the mask. The rest of the party members can return to the courtyard after gathering around the mask, so they can avoid the blade traps if no one is able to disable them.
- Archwizard Ca'thul and his goons spawn in the courtyard once the mask is picked up by a party member.
- There is a Dimensional Anchor effect inside the main building which disallows the usage of Dimension Door. There is a tiny spot where you can cast Dimension Door and escape to the entrance, although you can't finish the quest until the Archwizard is killed.
- The two doors leading into the common room will close and cannot be targeted or opened after the mask is picked up until all of the cultists in the basement are killed.
- Aggression bonus: 63 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 83 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 100 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 1 or more trap disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 25 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 32 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 40 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 2
- 1 In the supply room with 4 additional masks (only)
- 1 At the end as you approach the exit. Turn around!
- Collectables: 5
- Bookcase in the central building
- Rubble in the NW corner of the courtyard behind outhouses
- Fungus in the supply room
- Cabinet in the tavern
- Adventurer's Pack in the room with the White Dragon Mask
- NPC rewards: Standard list of items
Named Chest Drop
All items are.
- Blazing Sun - Orb - ML 18 - , , , , ,
- Epic Blazing Sun - Orb - ML 26 - , , , , ,
- Mythic Blazing Sun - Orb - ML 26 - , , , , , ,
|Archwizard Ca'thul (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Dragonsoul Arms Keeper (NoPic)||Humanoid||Human|
|Cult of the Dragon Initiate (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Dragonclaw Archer (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Dragonfang Assassin (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Dragonsoul Warrior (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Dragonwing Sorcerer (view)||Humanoid||Human|