A Break In the Ice
You know two things: that a disgrunted Frost Giant ramed Rungnir may be ready to turn against the Netherese, and that he can be found INSIDE a glacier.
|Requires access to : Shadowfell Conspiracy|
|A Break in the Ice|
|Takes place in:||Mountain Glacier|
|Bestowed by:||Renton Finne|
|NPC contact:||Renton Finne|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Free to Play:||No|
The Harpers have made contact with a Frost Giant in the Storm Horns named Rungnir. Apparently Rungnir is disgruntled with his position in the emerging monster army.
Harper Renton Finne believes that the right conversation with Rungnir could reveal the true scheme behind the formation of the monster army. He also believes that Rungnir could be used to drive apart the various factions within the army.
So, Renton Finne has hired you to speak with Rungnir and see what can be done. First, you must find Rungnir at the Mountain Glacier, near the top peaks of the Storm Horns.
- This is the fourth quest in the Secret of the Storm Horns story arc, although you can complete the first four quests in any order to flag for the final one.
- Locate Rungnir the Frost Giant
- Persuade Rungnir over to the cause
- Collect Rungnir's battle-trappings:
- Bring Rungnir his battle-trapping
- Meet Rungnir in the Great Chamber
- Defeat the Wizard Tharno
- Defeat Rungnir
- (Optional) Find the rest of Rungnir's battle-trappings: — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the Ice Elemental — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Negotiate with the Orc warband — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
Tips and Misc
- There are overlaying floors, closed drawbridges (with levers), collapsing floors (points of no return) and secret doors, which chamber behind them leaves no trace on the map.
- To find all Rungnir's battle-trappings (the optional objective), you will need some skill:
- One item is behind a locked lever. A wand of Knock is enough on Epic Normal. (Lock DC)
- One is behind a secret door.
- Marlukk holds one in the north-eastern room. You can negotiate (Bluff, Intimidate, or Perform, see table at the bottom) or fight.
- The trapping in the east-most room is guarded by ice elementals. Several spawn simultaneously, often attacking you with few Otiluke's Freezing Spheres at the same time. That can be dangerous on higher difficulty settings. Some spawn within walls, making it difficult to hurt them without magic. Hirelings, summons, and charmed monsters don't seem to see them - they don't attack them. Eventually, elementals leave the wall and can be targeted normally.
- In the final battle, Rungnir helps you fight Tharno. Unfortunately, they do pitiful damage to each other(eh solo: Tharno wins after 25 min fight). After a while, Tharno summons a few ice elementals to help him. When Tharno dies, Rungnir attacks the party.
- If Rungnir is defeated in the battle with Tharno, the quest may become impossible to complete: you are warned to leave the glacier, and then nothing further occurs.
- Glitch: If you have human monster manual HP display unlocked, when you quickly switch focus between Tharno and Rungnir, you can occasionally also see Rungnir's HP (epic normal solo+hire: Tharno 25k, Rungnir 57k/epic hard solo: Tharno 44k, Rungnir 123,748hp).
Marlukk Skill DCs
|Heroic DC table|
|Epic DC table|
- Aggression bonus: 126 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 148 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 1 or more secret door discovered +8% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 56 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 73 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 89 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- 2 End-chests
- 1 optional chest for finding the rest of Rungnir's battle-trappings
- Collectables: 5
- Adventurer's Pack behind the waterfall near the first drawbridge (can be accessed from either side of the chasm)
- Adventurer's Pack just before the drawbridge that closes in front of you
- Bones in the tunnel after the collapse
- Bones with Marlukk
- Bones behind the locked bridge (with Rungnir's Spaulder)
- NPC rewards: Always contain following 3 named Goggles
- Guardian's Glasses (Level 19) - ,
- Sage's Spectacles (Level 15) - ,
- Skirmisher's Lenses (Level 19) - ,
- Guardian's Glasses (Level 27) - , ,
- Sage's Spectacles (Level 27) - , , ,
- Skirmisher's Lenses (Level 27) - , ,
Named Chest Drop
- Frostbite Blade - Scimitar -
- Gloves of the Master Illusionist - Gloves -
|Watcher of the Glacier (view)||Elemental||Ice Elemental|
|Air Elemental (view)||Elemental||Air Elemental|
|Gnoll Skirmisher (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Gnoll Tracker (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Ice Elemental (view)||Elemental||Ice Elemental|
|Netherese Arcanist (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Netherese Mage (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Orc Archer (view)||Orc||Orc|
|Orc Berserker (view)||Orc||Orc|
|Stone Giant Crusher (view)||Giant||Giant|
|Winter Wolf (view)||Magical Beast||Wolf|